INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF CO-OPS INFO & EVENTS
Past California Events
Co-op Projects, California and Beyond
- Co-op Flag Project. The East Bay Cooperative Housing Coalition (EBCHC) designed a Co-op Flag that they are offering for sale (at cost). They would like others to join them in proudly flying the flag outside their cooperatives. They also hope to get the city to fly the flags in October! Collaborators welcome!
- IYC Co-op Calendar available from CCCD. Share your initiatives for inclusion in 2013 calendar. Scroll down for more details!
- My Co-op Rocks contest. The National Cooperative Grocers Association holds an annual video and photo contest focused on consumer food co-ops. Submissions were due April 30 and voting ended on May 31.Check out the contest website for inspiring videos and results. http://mycooprocks.coop/
- IYC Video Series. California natural foods co-ops are collaborating with other members of the National Cooperative Grocer’s Association in hosting a hosting a 13-episode online video series showcasing the amazing food that co-ops offer and ways co-ops bring farmers, producers and shoppers together. http://strongertogether.coop/at-the-market/food-co-ops-in-focus-2/ to view.
- I Love Co-ops campaign. The CA IYC Committee is engaged in video taping statements of why people love co-ops. Collaborators welcome! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
National & International Events
- United Nations calendar of IYC Events: http://social.un.org/coopsyear/events
- International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) calendar of IYC events: http://www.ica.coop/activities/iyc/
- CoCycle is a youth led, bike-powered tour linking cooperatives across the United States. The ride begins on October 22 in New York--people are encouraged to join the tour in its entirety or for segments that are near them--http://cocycle.wordpress.com/
- International Summit of Cooperatives: October 8-12, 2012, Quebec City, Canada. The summit will focus on economic and financial issues specific to cooperatives and mutuals, is the ideal place to forge high-calibre strategic alliances. For more information, visit: http://www.2012intlsummit.coop/site/home
- National Cooperative Development Act--an initiative to support cooperative development. For more information visit: http://www.ncba.coop/ncba/what-we-do/public-policy/calls-to-action/support-the-cooperative-development-act
California Events (Past)
February 2, 2012: UN panel on youth and co-ops. Staff members of the North American Students of Cooperation participated on a panel during the 50th Session of the Commission for Social Development at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
March 3, 2012: Touchstone Energy Annual Conference and IYC Celebration, Balboa Park- San Diego. 91 members of Rural Electric Cooperatives from across the country participated in a charitable local service project: Chelsea's Run 5K Run/Walk, honoring high school scholar and athlete Chelsea King. More than 5,500 people participated.
April 23, 2012: Co-op education at FFA State Convention Career Day, sponsored
by the California Agriculture Council.
May 4, 2012: IYC Celebration! CCCD and Bay Area Cooperatives welcomed co-ops and the public to an evening during CCCD's annual California Co-op Conference;First Unitarian Church of Oakland, 685 14th Street, Oakland, CA. The event showcased co-op product and co-op and locally sourced food and beverages. http://www.cccd.coop/events/ccc_2012
May 20, 2012: Housing Co-op Tour in Berkeley held in conjunction with Affordable Housing Week. Organized by the Bay Area Community Land Trust.
July, 2012: A one day commemorative IYC booth is planned for the California State Fair in Sacramento. Details to come!
August 21, 21012: Co-op Day at the State Capitol -- Join other Co-ops and Co-op organizations to educate legislators and the general public about the importance of cooperatives to California's economy. Interested businesses and organizations can reserve a spot to table and spread the word. Click here for more information. To reserve a spot, email Kim at email@example.com.
October, 2012-Co-op Month! Each October, cooperatives all across America celebrate the role, accomplishments and contributions of our nation’s cooperatives.
Now half Price! Member Pricing
March 1, 2012: The History of Housing Cooperatives in the U.S. and Labor/Worker Solidarity. Event was sponsored by the San Francisco Community Land Trust, The Center for Political Education, and the Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives.